This site is moving to a new address:
The township of De Kalb encompasses the communities of De Kalb Junction , Old De Kalb (De Kalb Village), East De Kalb, Kendrew Corners, Stellaville, Osbornville, Bigelow and the Village of Richville. The first settlement expedition (1803) was organized by Judge William Cooper of Cooperstown. De Kalb has a rich historical legacy visible in the form of farmhouses, barns, fences, churches, mines, graveyards, roads, hedgerows and fields.
Town Historian's Office:
The Town Historian for the Town of De Kalb is Bryan Thompson. His email address is: email@example.com
The Deputy Town Historian is Gerry Martin. His email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Historians office and the town archives is located on the second floor of the Old Meetinghouse Museum 696 East De Kalb Rd.
The Museum, Archives Room and Historians Office at the Old Methodist Meeting House Museum is open Wednesdays from 12:30 till 4:00 PM and Thursdays 9:30 to 12:30AM. Other times by appointment. (phone 315-347-1900, 315-347-2178 or 315-347-3554 to make an appontment.) Visitors are always welcome!
Hint: Search by last name only. ie.'Hurlbut" not "Philo Hurlbut". This search function will find no entries for Philo Hurlbut even though there are many in the data base.
The numbers after the names represent the pages of the respective books where the name appears.
To obtain copies of listed pages: Self sevice copies are 25 cents per page when you visit our archives.
Or send written list of book title.s and pages to be copied to: Town of DeKalb Historical Association.
Copies are $1 per page including postage.
Make checks payable to: Town of DeKalb Historical Association.
The Association was organized in 1994. The organization is provisionally chartered by the New York State Education Department as a 501 c3 not for profit educational corporation.
The Goals of the Association Include:
Promotion of a greater understanding and civic pride through the dissemination of information about the history and heritage of the Town of De Kalb and the St Lawrence Valley
The Association meets regularly March through October on the fourth Monday of each month at the Old Meetinghouse Museum. A subscription to The Williamstown Gazette, a journal of the history of the township, is included with membership.
View a sample of an article from the Williamstown Gazette:
The Historical Association and archives are now accepting donations of historical items pertinent to the history of the Township of De Kalb and environs. If you have any diaries, photographs, account books, scrapbooks etc. please consider donating them or loaning them to the association.